Speak a different language? Translate here!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Standing Tall and Looking Good: A First Post

"Standing tall and looking good
  Oughta be in Hollywood
  And it won't be long
  Til' I get on back home
  Back home, back home
  Back home, where I belong"

-Cadence, United States Army

Waiting on a helo in Afghanistan

My name is Justin, and I am currently a Staff Sergeant, on my way out of the United States Army after almost ten years of service.  I'm a veteran of both Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom with 12 months in both Iraq and Afghanistan.  During my time in the military I have experienced many ups and downs, and I have seen people come and go for various reasons.  There was a time where I thought that I would serve the full 20 years and retire, but that feeling no longer remains the same, nor can I say it was truly genuine from the beginning.  I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the military and it has been an experience that took me from a 17 year old boy, to a grown man.  I will never forget the fine Americans I've served with and the times we shared, which is why I chose "Standing Tall Being All I Can Be" as the title for my blog as a tribute to my service.  Even though my time is coming to a close the military has been an instrumental part of my life and will always have a place in my heart.


Al Faw Palace Saddam's Residence Baghdad, Iraq



 
Inside the Palace
 
The guy had taste beautiful chandelier
                                           

The military may not be what it once was but one thing that has not changed over the course of more than a quarter century is my love for aviation and my desire to fly the friendly skies.  From the time I was a very little boy I was fascinated by anything that moved, but especially planes.  My mother took notice of that interest and she purchased me a series of books called "Aircraft of the World" that featured a handout of all different types of planes, followed by a brand new computer and Microsoft Flight Simulator 98.  My mind was made up, I wanted to fly.  So why not the Air Force?  Honestly it was impatience on my part.  The Air Force had a waiting list at the time I was trying to enlist and I just wanted to get away from home.

Years later I still have the book thanks Mom!

737-200 Handout


I'll admit back then this section was as popular as the fighter jets!





Near the end of my first enlistment I was all set to get out of the Army and head to Sanford, Florida for what was then the "Delta Connection Academy", but I let the naysayers get to me and I extended my contract and the questions of what if began and are still present at times to this day.  But now the time has arrived, and I am about to embark on the journey of becoming a Professional Airline Pilot without looking back.  It's only fitting that my time served in the Army allows my flight training to be possible through the use of the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.

Cockpit of NWA 747-200 on the way to Kuwait in 2009


I will chronicle my journey to the world of Professional Aviation and hopefully pick up some readers in the process.  I was encouraged by a good friend who just so happens to be an Airline Captain to give this blog thing a try, so I headed his advice.  At this time I'd like to ask all readers to be seated, secure your seat belts, and enjoy the ride.

Justin

8 comments:

APC said...

What a great start Justin. I can't thank you enough for your service and the sacrifices you have made for your country. It has been a pleasure emailing back and forth with you lately and I'm sincerely looking forward to following along as you begin your training.

You have a positive attitude and your head is clearly in the right place...that's half the battle. Enjoy the journey!

Unknown said...

Brad thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. You've been more than helpful already and I am just beginning. It really means a lot so again thank you and I hope you've enjoyed the post.

capnaux said...

Wow, Sergeant! Excellent first post! You have a gift for storytelling, your own "voice," and a story that is uniquely your own! Ironically, the pics of Saddam's Palace were the most interesting part for me...but that's cuz I've never been there! Already you have experienced more in life than most of us ever do. And now you're on the way to the airline flight deck! Awesome!!

I look forward to more posts from you as you take this exciting journey!

Eric

Unknown said...

Thank You Eric,

You already know how I feel about you and your input into my career. It means a lot coming from someone who is already where I desire to be and has been where I am only beginning to go.

I fly again tomorrow more posts coming soon.

Thanks,

Justin

Renewed Pilot said...

I cannot really add much more to the comments of the gentlemen above... they said it well.

So, I will just say thank you for your service and sharing your blog with me. I am looking forward to watching you grow as a pilot.

- Brian

Unknown said...

Brian,

You are very welcome sir, and I thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences as much as I will enjoy living through them!

Joanna said...

Welcome to the blogging world! Best wishes with this new journey of aviation.

And thank you for your service!

Joanna

Unknown said...

Joanna,

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment, and thank you for the well wishes.

And you're welcome! Keep the post coming too, I have a PWIT (Pilot WIfe in Training) on my hands here lol!

Justin